Sunday, February 15, 2009

Shaun L.

Ear pain, weight gain





By: Anonymous


Source: Science News for Kids


Research now says that kids who get serve earaches are more likely to become obese. Studies have been conducted and show that the serve earaches in most children lead to wanting to consume fatty foods. University of Florida recently studied the ear and ear infections and saw that with serve middle ear infections damage the chorda tympani nerve. This nerve starts from the tip of the tongue where it picks up taste to the middle of the ear. If this nerve is damaged it becomes sensitive and begins to like the feel of fatty foods. Most fatty foods have a slippery feel, and with fatty foods comes weight gain. The kids with a damaged chorda tympani nerve don't crave the taste of the fatty food, just the feel. Linda Bartoshuk, a researcher, says that this doesn't just happen with this nerve but can happen with kids who have their tonsils taken out as well.



I really enjoyed this article because it taught me something I didn't know. I found it really interesting that kids with the nerve damage don't crave the taste, just the feel. This article however didn't tell me if there's a cure or surgery that can help you with the nerve damage. I would've really like to have known that.

1 comment:

  1. I liked reading your article because this is an interesting discovery. I never knew that severe earaches could cause children to crave fatty foods. One thing you can do to improve your work is make sure all the words are spelled correctly in your report. I think you meant severe* not serve.
    great job (:
    - Margaret P

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.