Monday, February 16, 2009

Breanna B.

Mosquito Duets
author unknown
sciencenewsforkids.org

The buzz of a mosquito may be annoying, but for mosquitos it is actually a mating call. The humming sound is produced when the mosquitos flap their wings very fast. This makes sound waves that vibrate inside and outside their bodies. Through scientific research, we have figured out that mosquitos can actually adjust the speed of their wings to make a specific sound that attracts mosquitos of the oposite sex.
While doing research on the Aedes aegypti mosquito, scientists noticed that when a mosquito of the opposite sex came near eachother, they would both raise their pitch before mating. Scientist Lauren Cator from Cornell University found that as the a male and female mosquito flew by eachother, they would match their pitch to create a duet of humming.

This was a really good article. It was well written and I could understand it easily. I was surprised to find out that mosquitos had mating calls. I would like to know more about other species of mosquitos as well as the Aedes aegypti mosquito.

4 comments:

  1. Lindsay E
    -Breanna I think this is a really interesting article you found! Who would think that annoying sound acctually had a purpose! : )
    -The only suggestion I would have is mabye more information in your reflective part of the article. But other than that I thought the whole article was great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i liked your article. i never knew that misquitos actually buzzed, and for a purpose. your summary was great and gave a good amount of info.
    -Ashley L <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your article was very interesting. I didn't realize that mosquitoes made a sound, let alone they made it as a mating call! You had a great summary but I would've made the reflection longer.
    Great job!
    -Renee L.(:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same as Lindsay and Renee. Your reflection should be longer. But intresting article. Now when I hear a mosquito, I'll still hate the sound; but I'll know it has a purpose.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.