STOP THE BIRDS!
Airport uses radar to prevent bird strikes.
Patrick Oppman CNN.com
I'm sure we all know about the recent incident where the plane crashed into the Hudson River. I'm sure we all know why it crashed, too. A bird flew into the engine, causing the plane to malfunction. Airports may start to use a new system to keep this from happening again. The first thing they do is try to keep the birds out of the airports. The eliminate nests and put up nets to keep the birds out of the airports. Birds that fail to stay out are treated harshly. The airport staff fire explosive shells to spook the birds away. But the greatest contribution was made by Steve Osmeck. He started equipping a Seattle airport with a bird radar to help pilots know which areas to check for birds again. Osmeck says that because birds are small. and lightly or dully colored, the are difficult to spot from a plane. But with the bird radar, pilots can focus in on one particular area and manuever away.
I think that the article I read did a Fantastic job of explaining Osmeck's idea. The idea itself was pretty smart, I thought. Because of this, we significantly lower the chance of another Hudson River incident.
Friday, February 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
i think you did a good job explaining your article. next time try not to write so much though because you told me all i needed to know so now there is no point for me to read the whole article.
ReplyDelete-tucker f
I thought your article was very informative. However, the colors are slightly distracting. Also, you had some grammar and spelling errors in your article.
ReplyDelete-Breanna B.