Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Renee L.

Author: Stephen Ornes
Found on: Science News for Kids

Graphene, an extremely thin layer of graphite, could be the answer to creating smaller electronics. Graphene is only one atom thick, but over 200 times as strong as steel, making it the strongest substance on Earth. Graphene is now the 'wonder material'.
I really liked this article because learning about how science and technology is improving is a topic that interests me. The fact that graphene was one atom thick yet the strongest substance on Earth was surprising to me. It was also surprising to me how expensive it is, as for a strand of graphene the size of a strand of average human hair it is over $1500. I would really like to know more about how the scientists are planning to get a cheaper version of it, and what they plan on doing with it. I really enjoyed this article.

2 comments:

  1. I would like to know how we can see the graphene if it is only 1 atom thick. It is interesting how much this small item may help so much.
    Katelyn M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was very interesting good job
    Tripp K

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.