Thursday, January 22, 2009

Shaun L.


By: Henry Fountain

The New York Times


This article was about mice that carry a disease called hantavirus pulmonary syndrome, and how they transmit it. Havtavirus pulmonary syndrome is a virus that humans get and is a potentially lethal throat infection, and can only be spread by mice to humans. The mice were dusted with Day-Glo talcum powder and then released into the wild. Researchers would capture other mice and by shinning a light on them could tell if they've come in contact with the powdered mice.


I found this article really interesting because I'd never heard of this disease nor had I heard about the mice. It surprised me that by just being around the mice you can possibly get hantavirus pulmonary syndrome. I'd like to know how many mice they found were in contact with the powdered ones, and if the study was effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.