Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Morgan H.

Article-"Body Clocks"
Author-Emily Sohn
Site-Science News for Kids

Scientists have done recent studies on when the human body knows to eat and sleep. Scientists have done an experiment on humans by monitering their eating and sleeping habits to see when they ate and slept and what caused this. They have found that the body has a main "clock" in the brain and also has many other "clocks" for things like eating and sleeping. They also found that when these internal "clocks" were changed, by changing a persons daily rutine, that some slept during the day and ate at night. When this happened the level of a molocule called "leptin" (which makes you feel full) went down and people ate more. This may be a leading cause in childhood obesity because children in america on average either stay up late whatching T.V or they are students studying for a test. This can also happen happen to adults is they work a night shift or have a young child and have a different rutine then normal. Scientists have just scratched the surface on these patterens that are vital to a healthy life.

Reflection:
A.) I liked this article very much because it gives a brief summary on why everyones sleeping and eating patterens are different and I have always wondered why that is. I also liked it because it was not hard to understand so I did not have to wonder what things ment or why these things happened.
B.) What surprised me in this article was that the body has more then one "clock". I thought that the body just had one main "clock" in the brain and really it has one for eating, sleeping, and other body functions.
C.) My question for the article is how many "clocks" specificly does the body have? I would also like to know more about these "clocks" and the details on how they work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.