Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Breanna B.

(click the title for link)

In New York City, scientists on a farm are saving seeds for the future. By putting these seeds in a dormant state called suspended animation, scientists can put the seeds in a safe place and use them in the future when they are needed. This farm, Greenbelt Native Plant Center, strives to save species that may one day be near extinct. How long the seeds stay in this dormant state depends totally on the species. While some only last to 30 years, others can remain in suspended animation for 10,000 years. Seeds of Success, the organization behind this plan. So far, the efforts have paid off because they have collected over 3,000 species of plant seeds. I suppose scientists of the future will find out if saving seeds really works.

Reflection:
I believe this plan will work effectively. This article gave me a great idea of what their plan is and how they are making it happen. I thought it was interesting that you can save plant seeds for so long. I would like to know in approximately what time period they plan on using the seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.