Science News For Kids.
This experiment tests to see if there are more than just the five basic tastes. These are salty, sweet, sour, bitter, and umami. The scientists tested to see if there was a new taste, metal. To do this, they needed to find out if special proteins were needed to detect metals taste. They used mice to test this. The independent variable was the mice because some mice had these special proteins and others did not. The dependent variable is the mice reaction to the metal. If they reacted the same, there is no metal taste and if they acted differently, it is a taste. The scientists dissolved metals into water for the mice to drink. This experiment proved that metal is a taste.



This was a very unique experiment. I liked how they used mice. It was also cool that they dissolved the metals into water for them to drink. I was very surprised that metal was actually a taste! I am also excited to see what new tastes these scientists will discover next.
EW!! I hate the taste of metals! However, that is very cool that there is actually a metal taste! Who would of thought? A good follow up experiment to this would be to test to see if we have any OTHER tastes. That's really interesting. I wonder what they will find out next. : )
ReplyDelete-Lindsay E
I agree with Lindsay, metals don't taste very nice, but it is really interesting to find out that they found a new taste! It would be interesting to know if it was a particular metal, or just one kind.
ReplyDeleteKatelyn M.
It was a very interesting article and a well thought out experiment. I also would like to know if there are any other taste and i would like to know what umami is.
ReplyDeleteJacob H