Sunday, March 29, 2009

Katie P.

Whatever Happened to... Mind Control?
by Stephen Ornes
Discovery Magazine

The CIA used LSD to control the minds of a group of people. This project was called MKULTRA. It began in the year of 1953. The scientists believed they could use chemical, biological, and radiological to advance toward modification of interrogation and behavior. They gave each person a dose of LSD which was the independent variable and watched them behind a glass window. The dependent variable was how they acted on the dose of LSD, but Scientist found no way to control the mind through LSD. There was one death in this experiment because the subjects were not watched close enough. LSD, radiation, and electric shock were all "dead ends". But scientist have also discovered that MRIs make the brain more transparent and they this may be the way to control minds in the future.
This experiment was not a good one because it did not work and one person that was tested died. I think to improve this experiment the scientists need to monitor the subject more carefully and hold them for a longer time. For a follow up experiment they should test the dose of LSD on different ages and sizes of people.

4 comments:

  1. This article was very interesting, and a little shocking since I did not no the U.S. tried mind control. Your idea for a follow up experiment scares me a little though, since LSD is an illegal drug! A good follow up experiment might be just to forget tampering with another human's mind and try developing a truth serium or something.
    Tripp J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that this article was very interesting sice we hear of "mind control" in stories that someone decided to test the idea. I think that a follow up experiment is a bad idea seeming as it was only tested on one person and the person did not survive.

    Morgan H. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought this article was interesting. I never knew that people were trying to control other people's minds. If a person did not survive, I don't think anything should be tested again.

    Renee L.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.