Sunday, March 29, 2009

Shaun L.



CNN Health

By Madison Park



New studies are being made to see if this, 'miracle fruit' can really alter your taste buds. The Synsepalum dulcificum or miracle fruit is said to release a sweet flavor, and make any food that tastes bitter, taste sweet. With this type of skill, Dr. Mike Cusnir says he wants to see if it can help cancer patients who've lost their appetites. Dr. Cusnir says many cancer patients who have been through chemotherapy treatments are left with bland taste buds. He also says that this causes them to become malnourished. Dr. Cusnir and other doctors hope that they can make a new pill that will have this 'Miracle Fruit', in it and give it to the cancer patients.


I thought this article was very interesting. I'd never heard of this fruit before, but it sounds really cool. However; I feel they should have told us a little bit more on what chemotherapy is, and why it blands their taste buds.

2 comments:

  1. I thought the fruit was really cool and i want to try one. However, you did not indicate the IV and the DV. You also didn't include your idea for a follow up experiment. I think they should run an experiment to see why the fruit changes your tastebuds.

    Breanna B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard of this fruit before on like the Today Show or something like that. I knew it made food sweeter but I did not know it restored your taste buds! Like Breanna said, there was no IV or DV. A good follow up experiment would be to see how the fruit affects other kinds of foods like meat and stuff you wouldn't normally sweeten.
    Tripp J.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.